Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Walk the Line

I took last week to scout. I decided what images I wanted, where they needed to be, who needed to be in them, and when I needed to shoot them. I went to the locations and got all of the above figured out. It's a long list but I feel like I've got some good ideas in the works.

Weather was good enough, light was right, and I had the right model so I went out to tee off the first spot.

Underlying basis of all the photos: I didn't want anything that showed that the photos were modern (logos, cars buildings, clothing, etc.). I was shooting for somewhere around the early 60s, specifically the Johnny Cash era.

I had two images in mind and they turned out almost to the t how I wanted them to, here's the first:


The inspiration from this photo comes directly from the musician Bob Dylan and the movie Walk the Line. After listening to Bob Dylan's music I had this feeling that there was so much behind it yet I really didn't know anything about him as a person. I watched the movie Walk the Line and the scene where Johnny Cash meets the young Bob Dylan in the woods was the one that got me. Whether it really happened or not, the feeling I got from that scene by seeing the soon to be discovered Bob Dylan in the woods alone with his guitar left a lasting impression that comes to mind anytime I hear a Bob Dylan song. My goal was to create that lonesome, backwoods, young musician feel in a photo and that is how the image above came about.

A much different image but a few similarities:


It's amazing to me how much a piece of media, whether it be a song, movie, etc. can bring me to a different time. My goal was to show how something as simple as a song could rebirth the past. The building itself being run down has a past and the subject by playing the song is giving a glimpse into the past of that location. If your confused look in the windows.

I'm extremely happy with this shoot and I can't wait to get out to the next location and create the specific images I've been thinking of.

Here's a few others that were either warming up, testing lighting, or getting comfortable:











I put a lot of effort into this shoot, thats why this post is counting for 2 weeks. The first week I scouted a few zones that I thought might work and did a lot of thinking as to how to shoot it. Then the next week I made my decisions and went and shot. Here are a few location test shots from the week before:





I took some inspiration from this video http://vimeo.com/22279106. It's definitely a little different but I love the vintage feel of it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really different from your landscape and action. Keep it coming. I like....

Anonymous said...

These are some really good photo's and its cool how it looks like he is sitting by the shuttle stop somewhere around the airport. I really like these photo's I think he is a very good photographer.

Anonymous said...

I really love your pictures! They are fantastic! Looking through all of them I don't think there was one that I didn't really like. These look like pictures I could see in like an ad or something like that. I love the angles you shot at, the colors you made the pictures, and just the overall picture. Keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

I liked your pictures! They were really good. I really liked the black and white ones. They are simple and good. The guitar ones were great! The color contrast was great too. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I like how they were taking in different colors and at different angles. I also like the guitar is apart of the whole 'topic'. It seems as if in every photo, there is a story behind it, and I love it!

Carley Knoblich said...

I think these photos are extremely nice. You most defiantly have your ow style of photography. Its pretty rad. (: Ill prolly be keeping up with your blog! sweeeet.

alexa toffey said...

Well I have to say your pictures are comletely amazing i can literally look at them allllll day. Their seriously amazing. don't quiet photography ever. i'm most defintetly going to keep up with your blog mister. Its quiet radicalx]

Anonymous said...

I think that these are great. They have great exposure, and great color balance. I like how he's either walking with his guitar, or is sitting and playing it. I like how it's all centered around the guitar. I think that they are real great. I don't think you should really change anything.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the one that has the guy with a guitar walking away from the camera. I liked this one because of the fact that most people include the face in most of the photos. People need to change it up a little. So really besides this one photo I was talking about I don't really like any of the other photos. Im sorry but you need to change the way people take pictures.

Anonymous said...

I really love all of these photos. You're a great photographer. You can really capture the person's personality in the picture. The lighting and everything looks great. I like how all the photos are really laid back and there's a main focal point. Great job. (:

Anonymous said...

Hey, first of all, your name is pretty awesome. Anyway, I think these photos are super great. They do really capture the essence of a "lonesome... young musician." And also the feeling of, I don't know, nostalgia? The feeling of a past era. The kid in the photos looks like he's living a pretty awesome life, just wandering around, making music. You had a nice vision with this, and you did a great job communicating it. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to say these photos of yours are really good. When I looked through all of them I didn't think there was one that I really didn't like. I love the angles and color you used with great contrast. You have fantastic work, keep it up. your photos really caught my eye and made me wanna keep looking at them. They have really good interest in your photos.

Anonymous said...

I really like your pictures. You are super talented! I like the angels you used and where you took the shoots are really cool. I like the colors of your photos! I love your work, its unique.

btwitch said...

"If your confused look in the windows." You're.

Really nice portraits and editing on these. Returning to this work and getting it on your blog is a good thing to do to help get work. Portraits are the bread and butter for most photographers so showing that you can stay fresh on these and show that you can still do it, will keep it in potential customers' minds.