Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Beast

I had a photo assignment to document an area so the people of the future can see what Coeur d' Alene was like back in the day. It makes sense, especially when you look back and see old photos Coeur d' Alene. It's good to have photos for historical reasons.

Thinking into it deeper I realized that what we are doing now is a lot different than someone shooting for historical documentation 80s ago. We cherish those photos because there are very few of them, it was hundreds of times more difficult to make a photo 80 years ago and therefore the quantities are limited. 80s years from now people looking back aren't going to feel the same way. Why? Information overload. Unless something catastrophic happens and every bit of information is lost, these people will not value the photos because of the sheer quantity. Everyone and their uncle has a camera and every single inch of downtown has been documented more than once.

I did my part in taking the photos and getting them where they needed to go but, I really don't like them so hopefully someone may happen to get some worth out of them in the future. Until then here is a great photograph that I got of the sewage plant while I was documenting the prairie:


Considering I planned this as my post of the week I was a little lost of what to shoot until I came across this bit of inspiration and decided that I needed to take photos of a beast, this is what I came up with:


Turns out it isn't much of a beast at all, it's the family cat, Picabo. It's hard to be fierce with a name like Picabo. Here's a few more shots of "The Beast" and other random photos from the past week:






And finally, Rob Cubbin hard at an epic flight spot in Whistler:


2 comments:

btwitch said...

Very nice cat photos but not exactly a documentation of how the area looks.


............

btwitch said...

I see now what you turned into the folder...