Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Tunnel

Long story short: Tahoe got pounded, the sun came out, temperatures climbed into the 50s.

This left a small window to get things done. After a long sunny day we found ourselves with the light leaving and a long journey ahead to reach the vehicles. We had been out for a long time and everyone was not looking forward to the trudge back. These are the situations when decision making can become hazy.

A quarter of the way back we stumbled upon a small hole in the snow that went fairly deep. It was difficult to see where the bottom was, but a local that we were with remembered that there was a tunnel through the mountain that started right around where we were standing, the entrance just had happened to be buried for quite some time due to all the snowfall. Without much hesitation, he drops into hole, we hear him fall/slide a ways and hear a thud as he hits the bottom.

"I can see light at the end. Hop down here, it'll drop us on the other side of the mountain and cut off most of the hike." Those were his words. Sketchy? Quite a bit, but considering the distance it would supposedly save and the condition of my legs at the time it was a fairly easy decision.

I didn't realize what we had gotten ourselves into until I had jumped in the hole and realized that once your in the tunnel from that end, chances are you won't be getting out unless it is through the other side, which was a speck of light a ways in the distance.

After hiking in the dark under the mountain for awhile we approached the end of the tunnel and saw something blocking the exit. From a distance it looked fine because the light was shining through it, but once we were close enough it was easy to see that a massive wall of ice was standing between us and where we needed to be. Luckily it had been warm that day and a hole had melted in the ice small enough to fit a body through, huge relief knowing we could exit the tunnel.

What started as a hasty decision based off tired legs almost led to a sketchy situation but all ended up producing my favorite image of the trip:

I'm back home now and finally got some time on my hands, really looking forward to getting back into shooting some fashion and focusing most of my spring on building that portofolio. Lettin the landscapes rest for a little and picking up something different, should be a good change.

I've also been job shadowing Trevin Spencer at BHW1 Advertising, their website here. It's awesome to see how the industry works, there's so much behind every aspect of it from idea creation to working with the production companies that I really had no idea about. On top of that we get to just head out on photo missions, which is awesome.

Here's a few from a photo mission with Trevin and Ashlyn and some images from Tahoe:











11 comments:

Mackenzie said...

that tunnel picture is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Wow the ice tunnel is amazing picture.

btwitch said...

Great story to go with the images. Stories with images can help get the viewer more invested in the image. Without the story, the tunnel image is good, but with the story it makes it really good.

Anonymous said...

I thought those photos were pretty cool! My favorite was the photo of the Bing Crosby theater. I liked how on most of the pictures there were some leading lines and the color was at a good level, not too bright or too dark. Cool photos!

Anonymous said...

I REALLY loved these pictures. I think your pictures have great color balance , exposure, and lighting . I really like the subjects of your pictures too though ! I loved how you have some very unusual angles and how you switch up your style. The picture of the upper view of the city at night looked really nice and I liked the angle you shot at. The jetstreams made for really interesting subjects and backgrounds in your pictures too. These pictures were amazing ! ! ! Nice job !

Anonymous said...

I think these pictures are really good. I like the lighting in the pictures, its really nice. The tunnel picture is my favorite. Its awesome. Overall there is nothing i don't like about these pictures.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the ice tunnel picture! The lighting looks really cool on your pictures and I like the different color balances! Good Job! I lovveee your pictures!!

Anonymous said...

These photos are really great! I love all of the scenes and each one tells a different story. The one of the shadowed mountain and tree with the light sky is really cool. The lighting is great along with the street photo. the waterfall of ice is really cool too because the guy is the focal point but the ice is the amazing background.

Anonymous said...

I really liked these pictures. There was really good leading lines in the pictures. Your saturation and color balance was very good. I liked the overall shades of the photos and I liked how you made the lights pop. I think my favorite picture was the ice tunnel image.

My@ Pellen5 said...

I love your photos(: They are really great and i think that you have lots of talent. The black and white ones are my favs(: But i just wanted to say keep up the GREAT work...

M@CK3NZ!3 R!CH@RD5 said...

My favorite photos of yours have to be the black and white ones. And of those I really likes the 3rd and 4th ones. They're at creative angles and great exposure. The view from these angles isn't something seen every day. Great job!