Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ice Adventures

First off I'd like to say happy 100th post to the blog. I never thought it'd get this far. The blog started as a school project but has turned out to be much more. I've updated weekly for the past 2 and half years(only one substantial break). I can't be more happy that I did because looking back it has really kept me on my toes from week to week and forced me to get out and shoot something at least once a week. Here's to another hundred posts but then again... who's counting?

Anyways, I had been planning to shoot this spot for awhile. I drive by it every time I go to the mountain and I've almost stopped a handful of times but for some reason never did, until today. Things turned out a lot different than I expected. Vast, open, and simple were the words that came to mind when I would drive by. This is what drew me in, almost a desert type feel. It turned out open and simple and that was about it, nothing more, nothing less. Simple is nice, but in this case things were just too simple.

Really really simple... foreground, texture, horizon, sky:


I started looking closer trying to find something to make things interesting, and then I saw these cross-country ski tracks. Why they aren't straight on a completely open frozen body of water? I couldn't tell you



My pup came along for the adventure and while I was trying to figure things out she was lurking:



I had myself, my dog, and a walking stick I found, so I made the best of it with some use of the self timer:




And finally my favorite, completely different from what I had in mind before but that's just how things go:


If your in need of some excitement head on over to http://partytimers.blogspot.com/.


Thanks to all the viewers. Have a good week.
-Essex

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are really fantastic! i really like the color of your photos. I really like the photo of your puppy. The scenery is really pretty! Also the sun looks really good in your photos! Great job! Keep up the great work!!